Article written by Curtis

10 Responses

1. Wes Roberts
    Wes Roberts 13 June, 2012 at 6:36 am | | Reply

Well…someone may have crossed the line so far back they forgot there was one. Or…they may have erased the line thinking they might trip over it. And then again…Baptists, and others, never did approve of line dancing. And those with a more charismatic formula for church were never into straight lines (not referring to gender here…). Of course…back to the Baptists…they were only for straight lines, not connected. And how is marketing different from branding (usually reserved out here in the wild west for cattle…)?

Seems I remember, from somewhere, that the profound potential suggested by the One after Whom the church has been supposedly named is that the best “marketing” comes from how one loves…creatively…fully…unconditionally…no strings/lines attached…no matter gender, or preference…race…education…financial status/poor or wealthy…religious preference…obese…thin…married…single…fit…outta shape…young…olde…hypocrite or holy person…etc….etc…etc….even Republican or Democrat.

PS…also as a youth pastor in SoCal, way, way back in the day, we did CrossCountry Bowling Tournaments through the streets of Whittier, CA (2 miles in length), that did cause a bit of a stir…and added to our numbers daily. For all I can ascertain, the Triune enjoyed those rollicking, rolling “marketing” moments that did seem to produce slow-growing, but definite miracles in changed lives…in kids…and the mamas and the papas…and a few grandparents thrown in for good measure.

You know I’ve, sincerely, the deepest of respect for your own creative genius, Dr. Fletcher! So…for this day…and the ever changing future of the church…what’s a better term or idea than “marketing” in the current day? I’m not sure putting hospital beds in the streets waiting for Peter’s shadow would be welcomed…but it would get some attention.

Does pure love work? Does love win?

I think it does. What about you………..?

And now, if you’ll excuse me, we’re off to Alaska to spread a little love amongst the grizzlies………..no cruise, this time.

2. Wes Roberts
    Wes Roberts 13 June, 2012 at 6:42 am | | Reply

PS…the Church of the Holy Mouse (DLand or DWorld) will always work for thee and me! What they have there is brilliant…just name all the “lands” and how they make up the beliefs we espouse…Frontierland…Adventureland…Tomorrowland…etc. :-)

3. Wes Roberts
    Wes Roberts 13 June, 2012 at 6:43 am | | Reply

PSPS…even Main Street. OK…I’m done………..for real.

4. Chris Jeub
    Chris Jeub 13 June, 2012 at 6:59 am | | Reply

Here are some thoughts:
    Are marketing and ministry contradictory?
    It seems to me a clever move from the enemy to convince the Church that the two are at odds.
    Isn’t ministry more successful for those who accept that marketing is part of ministry? Is “selling” the greatest Gift in all history really that difficult to do? Perhaps only if the sales staff are convinced that “marketing” is wrong.

I tend to think there isn’t a line. The two walk hand-in-hand. We have the Good News (whoa…the 1st century marketers came up with that branding) to share with the world, so no doubt we’ll shout it from the mountaintops.

5. Joseph Lalonde
    Joseph Lalonde 13 June, 2012 at 9:25 am | | Reply

This is something to chew on Curtis.

Being involved in youth ministry, I often feel we need to market to the segment and get them excited about church. But I think we come close or cross the line when we make it all about having a great time.

That’s not what church is all about. It’s about getting right with God, fellowshipping, and equipping.

6. Ryan Daffron